This is Oliver at 6:00 p.m. Tuesday (last) night:
And another look at our boy last night:
This is Oliver at 10:00 a.m. today:
And here’s Oliver 24 hours after those first pictures – 6:30 p.m. tonight:
He is looking and feeling much better. Here’s what we know . . . after last night’s transfusion, his packed red blood cell count has been holding relatively steady at 22% . . . .at the worst it was down to 12% and that was after two transfusions. But something shifted today and it’s holding steady. All of his other vitals look very good (they have throughout all of this, for the most part). The protein level in his blood is still off and is consequently causing a lot of edema (swelling). In fact, he looks like a little ham hock.
But he’s bright and perky and talkative. He’s stayed alert all day, interacting with the staff in the ICU (who, very appropriately, adore him).
We are by no means out of the woods, but words like “recovery” and “going home” have STARTED to creep into the discussions. Understand, three days we didn’t know if we had the time to get him to the ER vet, so this is quite remarkable.
The Endoscopy has been put on hold for now until he is more healed and more stable. There is still some vomiting and, uh, y’know, the other stuff, and there is still blood . . . but not as much. We still don’t know what the underlying cause is and won’t until we get him to a point where he can handle the endoscopy – that may be a couple of weeks away yet.
The emails and comments and phone calls and texts and posts and tweets have bolstered us all through it – we cannot thank everyone enough for the outpouring of kindness. Please keep it coming as long as you can – we know it’s helping. It was good to see glimmers of our boy back today. He was actually feeling well enough to give hugs today – and if you know the O-meister, that’s definitely a good sign!